- Studying Software Engineering at the University of Victoria (2018)
- Spent 4 months at Hootsuite (September – December 2015)
- Joined our Publishing team
- Connect with me on LinkedIn, Twitter, or Github
His Key Contributions
- Built a feature that allows users to upload custom thumbnails to their Facebook and Linkedin linkshares
- Worked on Facebook and YouTube video publishing, developing the preliminary UI with meta-data indicators in React
- Worked on the Hootlet Chrome Extension, reimplementing the “Tweets Near Me” functionality to display Tweets near Google Maps locations
In His Words
I very much enjoyed my time at Hootsuite. The people, the stack, and the general atmosphere was awesome.
When I was looking for a co-op, my goal was to work on a team instead of having my own project. This is exactly what I got out of Hootsuite: I got to work alongside smart people, and I never felt like my opinion or work mattered less than any of the full-time developers. In my first week I broke the one of the tests in the deploy process, which backed up the entire system. Never once did I feel blamed, but at the same time nobody swooped in and took control. They let me fix my mistake, learn from it, and move on. I can thoroughly say that everyone I’ve encountered at Hootsuite has been smart, helpful, and an overall joy to be around.
At Hootsuite, I felt like my manager cared about what I was learning and interested in. Every week, we had a 1-on-1, the goal of which is to get some personal time with your manager to share concerns about work. My manager David would frequently ask me questions like “Are you happy with the work you’re doing?”, “Do you like working on the Hootlet?”, “What do we need to get you doing before you leave at the end of your 4 months?”. I could tell my manager really cared about my experience here, and wanted to make it the best it could be.
All in all I’ve had an amazing time, and I’ve met some awesome co-ops and full-time developers. I’ve been able to work on cool things with smart people, and that’s all anyone could really hope for.
Like what you see?
We’d love to work with you. Speak to your co-op advisor and check out our careers page.