- Studying Computer Engineering at the University of Waterloo (2017)
- Spent 4 months at Hootsuite (January – April 2016)
- Joined our Security and Compliance team
- Worked with Python, Bash, Burp Suite, Anible, Consul
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
His Key Contributions
- Implemented security static code analysis for Scala projects in our continuous implementation pipeline
- Designed internal tools to reduce effort required to stop malicious users
- Conducted penetration tests on new and old Hootsuite features
- Revamped and added more security logging to properly track abusive activity
- Wrote a blog post on Static Code Analysis
In His Words
The power of networking led me to find this treasure of an opportunity: good friend/classmate/former Hootsuite Co-op Andy Leung referred me to Hootsuite. Within a week of joining, I had realized this was the exact experience you would hope for in a co-op placement – whether it was the incredible onboarding process or simply the amazing team I had joined, I found myself looking forward to showing up at work day after day.
At Hootsuite, security is not on the back burner (which is a very pleasant change in pace). The team quickly integrated me as one of their own and made my debut in Vancouver a pleasant one. While allowing me to lean on my strengths and improve on my weaknesses, my mentors helped me scope out different projects that would lead me to explore and learn about the different areas of security. Hootsuite has a culture where working out loud and extending a helping hand is the norm. Regardless of which project I was working on, there was always someone who was more than willing to offer their experience and time.
While one of the selling features of working in Vancouver for me was to avoid the blistering winter of Toronto, I quickly learned that the city offered more than moderate weather year round. Between having fun getting lost and exploring the streets, or working in the fast-paced environment that is Hootsuite, Vancouver offered surprises around every corner.
Like what you see?
We’d love to work with you. Speak to your co-op advisor and check out our careers page.